Hey y’all! Can you believe it’s only a week until Vegan MoFo 2013 begins? Colour me excited! (I’m British, that ‘u’ is staying, get used to it!)
I was lucky enough to attend Vida Vegan Con in Portland this spring and one of my favourite classes was the Vegan MoFo workshop run by fellow volunteers Kittee, Amey & Mo. I loved the tips these MoFo veterans shared for getting involved in and surviving Vegan MoFo. For a lot of us the idea that MoFo has to be about elaborate cooking projects is enough to stop us signing up and I don’t mind admitting that I’ve suffered from MoFo Burnout™ on more than one occasion. But, never fear, our ideas are here! During the workshop we brainstormed fun daily themes that you guys can use all of, some of, or, y’know, none of. It’s up to you! The official Vegan MoFo 2013 Daily Themes are…
Mac-and-Cheese Monday – This is pretty self explanatory and a theme I’m personally running with
TV Tuesday – Eat and Watch, cook a meal featured in your favourite movie or TV show.
Work With it Wednesday – Focussing on a food you don’t love and learning to love, or at least tolerate, it.
Thankful Thursday – Focussing on the positive and giving to others. Maybe you could bake some cookies to thank a friend, teacher or neighbour?
Freaky Friday – Trade with a fellow blogger for the day.
Retro Saturday – Dress up and veganise your favourite retro dishes.
Sleepy Sundays – Your favourite breakfast, brunch and lazin’ in bed snacks. This is another one that I’ll definitely be taking part in!
I’d also like to share ALL of the brainstorming ideas we came up with in the workshop so that you too can laugh about Bathtub Tuesday or run with Fry-day!
Monday – Mock Meat Monday, Mom’s Meals, Metal Monday, Munchie Monday, Muffin Monday, Manic Monday.
Tuesday – Taco Tuesday, Bathtub Tuesday, Tomato Tuesday.
Wednesday – White Flour Wednesday.
Thursday – Thirsty Thursday, Thursday Treats.
Friday – Fry-day, Fruity Friday, Far-mar Friday, Farty Friday (yes, we are adults), Fermented Friday, Fave Film Friday.
Saturday – Sprouty Saturday, Sautéed Saturday, Sausage Saturday, Spousal Saturday, Saucy Saturday.
Sunday – Sweetie Sunday, Sundae, Soul Food Sunday, Sassy Sunday, Spicy Sunday, Small Town Sunday, Special Sunday.
This year the MoFo team (with a little help from our Twitter followers) have also come up with 30 blogging prompts that you can use if you’re dealing with a case of writer’s block. Again you can use some, all, or none of these.
- Your Origin Story (what led you to become vegan?)
- Share your first experience cooking with tofu.
- A food / ingredient you didn’t used to like but now you do, how did the transition happen? (Mine is pickles, Isa’s is Celery!)
- Five vegan foods you cannot live without.
- Five kitchen utensils or gadgets you cannot live without.
- What was your first vegan cookbook?
- Pick a historical figure and discuss what you might cook for them.
- Tell us about a herb you use in a unique way.
- Take us on a (pictoral or video) tour of your kitchen.
- What’s your newest foodie discovery and how did you discover it?
- Your vegan heroines / heroes.
- Is there something you do in the kitchen that you know you’re not supposed to (knives in the dishwasher, soap on cast iron etc)
- Hidden vegan gems in your town, city or village.
- Veganise a local speciality / food that’s popular in your area.
- Veganise a family recipe.
- What’s the best vegan meal you’ve ever eaten?
- Describe your fantasy meal, money and time are not an issue!
- What’s your favourite accidentally vegan product?
- How do you feel about leftovers?
- Your top five vegan products (including clothing, cleaning supplies, make up, shoes, soap, whatever)
- Your five favourite cookbooks.
- Your top five store cupboard essentials?
- Post a picture of a cat!
- What’s the first vegan meal you ever cooked from scratch?
- When is the last time someone cooked for you and what did they make?
- Do a cookbook challenge! Throw cookbook names into a hat, use a random number generator to pick a page and make whatever comes up.
- Your favourite vegan food pairings (Yes, we kinda pinched this one from Vegetarian Times!)
- Talk about your favourite place to buy vegetables.
- Your ultimate cooking playlist.
- What’s your killer dish when you’re cooking for non-vegans?
If you haven’t signed up for MoFo yet I hope that these prompts might inspire you to do so – you have until August 28th! The sign up form’s right here. Go on, you know you want to!
If you have signed up but are already freaking out about how much work it’s going to be hopefully this post will help you chill out a bit! We understand that it can be hard, or downright impossible, to keep up with cooking project after elaborate cooking project for a whole month because we MoFo too. Hopefully the daily MoFo Workshop themes, and prompt questions alongside Katie’s post about MoFoing On The Go will make it all seem considerably less daunting and more fun. Roll on September!